Barbara, through many years of concentrating on her interactions with the elemental world, has discerned a pattern of what works for her. She doesn’t assume it as the best procedure for everyone, but when Julie and I visited in November she prepared the following to help us connect. As she made this offering, she also left us in total freedom to use our own intuition and techniques. I think we both ended up using some kind of blend. I continue to refer to Barbara’s protocols, and I’m particularly interested in number 7, which gives a way to leave and come back if nothing is happening. This reminds me that this is a process to be lovingly cultivated, not a quick judgment that “it works” or “it doesn’t work”, that “I can do it” or “I can’t do it”.
Barbara’s communication indications: From the beginning of my invitation to dialogue, the gnomes asked me to do it at the computer. That way I have a record and can go back to learn and ask other questions. Since I have to move into another part of my mind to dialogue, it is easy to forget what was said. For years I did this in nature, with my back to a tree. Another person does it in the house sitting by his favorite houseplant. My connection is now well established so I can do it anywhere, just by setting up Sacred Space and opening to this established connection.
- Get clear about whom you want to dialogue with.
- Create a Sacred Space. Mine is the Stillness Chant; some call it the Four Directions
- Create a bridge from outer to inner. Visualize a setting. Open your heart for connection.
- Name what you want to dialogue about. Be specific. This is to help you focus and to help Spirit know what you want. Out of a 360 degree possibility, at what degree are you to meet?
- Prime the pump. Tell what is going on for you.
- Notice how dialogue begins. For me the “Second Voice” takes up my thinking with new awareness, insight and information. If this doesn’t happen I ask a specific question. The answer may come with a feeling of yes or no.
- If the dialogue doesn’t start, close the session. Don’t hang around trying to make it happen. Tell your partner that you will come back again. Set a time. Ask: Is there any way I can make this easier for you?
- Set a specific way to close the session, to release the energies holding sacred space.
- Express gratitude. Remember you are in kindergarten if not preschool.
As I completed writing this I tuned in (shifted my focus) and asked: Is there anything else you would like to say? The response came immediately: You are doing fine Barbara.